Re: 2 Quick Question: Datafiles/Performance and Deleting a Database

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 01:05:32 -0500

Hi Chuck,

Chuck wrote in message
<382f11f1.2250926_at_client.nw.news.psi.net>...

|1)
|
|This may be a dumb question, but what is the proper procedure to
|delete a database? (I have three databases all using their own
|instance nad need to delete one of them)

    Darned if I know if the following is the "proper procedure", but it works!

    Just delete all of the data files associated with the instance including the init<instance>.ora and config<instance>.ora and then, if necessary, edit /etc/oratabs. The easiest way to delete the data files is to spool out the datafile names from dba_data_files and then edit the spool file entriesso that it becomes a delete script.

|2)
|Will their be a significant performance difference between the
|following two configurations?
|
|Config. 1
|
|5 1gig datafiles on the same physcail disk (not contiguous on
the
|disk)
|
|Config 2
|
|1 5gig datafile on the same physical disk

    Go with Config 1. I don't think the performance is any better, but trying to back up a 5GB file may be more than your OS can handle comfortably.

hth
jerry gitomer Received on Mon Nov 15 1999 - 00:05:32 CST