Re: 2 Quick Question: Datafiles/Performance and Deleting a Database

From: jclarke <jclarke_at_centroidsys.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:43:16 -0500

To answer your second question, 5 1Gb files would normally yield a faster-operating database than 1 5Gb file (or, 4 500Mb are better than 1 2Gb, as a more universal Unix example). For systems configured to use synchronous I/O, O/S write operations need to acquire a file lock to update the file. This is usually a faster operation with smaller files. In addition, I've always had better luck with maintenance. although I'm not positively sure why (I'd guess it's along the same line of thinking). Restoring 4 500Mb files has always taken less elapsed time than restoring 1 2Gb file, for example.

--

John Clarke                             (888) 363.2955
Managing Principal Consultant           (248) 593.9935