Re: Is it wise to create datafiles that use over 90% of the disk space?

From: <sbenitez_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:48:57 GMT

It depends on which OS you are using. Most Unix OS (AIX, HP-UX, Solaris)have built in the 10% overhead which, if exceeded 100%, will cause the OS to use the filesystem in space for time algorithm instead of the opposite. This will cause a performance degredation. (That's why you notice on some filesystems, it's possible to exceed 100% without crashing). Other OS's such as NCR (boo) don't have this built in, so by filling up over 90% will cause this performance issue.

So, as far as performance is concerned, it shouldn't be a problem depending on your OS. From a maintenance point-of-view, it all depends on your setup. Are you concerned about I/O and striping your datafiles? Is there an issue of wasted space if your tablespace doesn't use the whole thing? Are you using auto-extend, and could this be a problem?

There are several issues that you need to look at, but the bottom line is, no, filling up 90% of your filesystem is not a problem that will cause your instance you come to a halt. Just remember the performance aspects...

Scott

In article
<8525682A.00557CFD.00_at_smtp.apprise.com>,   "Bruce Taneja" <Bruce_Taneja_at_coregis.com> wrote:

> If you have only datafiles, it should be ok..
> You can move the datafiles to a different file
system, should some of them start
> growing..
> -bruce
>
> "Stephanie Wood" <steph2000_at_home.com> on
11/08/99 02:04:04 AM

> Please respond

to "comp.databases.oracle.server_at_list.deja.com"

<comp.databases.oracle.server_at_list.deja.com>

To: "comp.databases.oracle.server_at_list.deja.com"

<comp.databases.oracle.server_at_list.deja.com>
> cc:
> Subject: Is it wise to create datafiles that
use over 90% of the disk space?

> Message from the Deja.com forum:
> comp.databases.oracle.server
> Your subscription is set to individual email
delivery

> Is it wise to create datafiles for Oracle on
Unix (AIX) that fill the file
> systems over 90% full? Of course, I don't have
autoextend on.

> My Unix background says never fill a file
system > 90% full, but if the
> datafiles aren't growing does Oracle have a
problem with this? i realize
> that you don't want ORACLE_HOME to fill up, or
other
> areas.....
>
> Thanks!
> Stephanie
>

> Deja.com: Before you buy.
> http://www.deja.com/
> * To modify or remove your subscription, go to
> http://www.deja.com/edit_sub.xp?

group=comp.databases.oracle.server
> * Read this thread at
>
> http://www.deja.com/thread/%3CEBuV3.21512%
24Ec1.244549%40news1.frmt1.sfba.home.com%3E

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 15 1999 - 12:48:57 CST