Large SGA: sgabeg, ORA-04030,

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:41:34 GMT

Hey all,

Does anybody know why this could be coming up upon an index creation?

ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allo cate 4112 bytes (callheap,sort area)
ORA-07324: smpall: malloc error while allocating pga.

Oracle 7.3, E4500, 10Gig Ram.
3 Oracle DB's running at 2.5, 1.5, 2 Gig each.

Also it seems that when I decrease the sort_area_size from 8Meg to 4 Meg that error disappears (we have this index creation in a batch job)

Also, I have done something according to the SGA size, sgabeg attach address and Sun architectures 61896.1 article on metalink.

From paper:
If you have successfully reduced the value of sgabeg, and subsequently receive
errors:
  ORA-4030: out of process memory when trying to allocate %s bytes (%s,%s)
or
  ORA-7324: smpall: malloc error while allocating pga. then it's very likely that you've lowered the start address into an area which
the PGA needs to extend into. Raise sgabeg, and try again.

Does anybody know how I should resize, play around with those parameters?

Thank you.

Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 373-5417
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email