Re: Oracle Database Transfer

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:39:28 GMT

In article <80ocno$htt$1_at_eng-ser1.erg.cuhk.edu.hk>,   "Jason Ng" <clng7_at_ie.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have created a database system using Oracle and I want to move the
> database from the current computer to a new computer, how can I do
that?

> Jason

Install Oracle on new machine then build a new database with the same tablespace names as the old one. Do full export of old database and import into the new database. This is the easiest approach for small databases.

You can greatly reduce the time necessary to transfer the data if you make two exports. On the first specifiy constraints=n and indexes=n so you only export the tables (I also prefer compress=n). Then do a second export with rows=n. This will dump the constraints, indexes, public synonyms but no data. Import the first file to create the users and tables then import the second file to build the indexes and establish your constraints.

You can greatly reduce the change of any errors due to missing privileges, quotas etc... by pre-creating your object owners and granting them the necessary privileges and quotas in advance. Also if any objects depend on a grant from sys, this allows you to issue it in advance of the first import.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 15 1999 - 07:39:28 CST