SQL*Forms 2.3 conversion/V2 triggers in Oracle Forms

From: RickHens <rickhens_at_aol.com>
Date: 13 Nov 1999 15:13:56 GMT

I have been asked to convert an SQL*Forms 2.3 (which contains V2 triggers) application running Oracle 6.03 to Developer 2000/Oracle 7.3.4 in order to achieve Y2K compliance. The system is and will remain a character mode implementation running on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5. Obviously, I do not have much time left. The database migration is a lesser concern than the forms conversion.

My first option is to simply convert the v2.3 forms to Forms 4.5 and leave the triggers as V2 rather than convert to PL/SQL. I'm thinking that the conversion would go relatively fast. My question is whether or not the v4.5 forms will function identically without having to modify any code. If that is required, we would have to convert each trigger needing modification to PL/SQL since V2 triggers cannot be modified in Forms 4.5.

My second option is to convert the v2.3 forms to v3.0, save the forms in the database and run a PL/SQL package that I downloaded from Frank Naude's Oracle FAQ page to convert the V2 trigger steps to PL/SQL. After this package converts the trigger steps to PL/SQL, we will convert the v3.0 forms to v4.5. My question here is has anyone out there every used the Frank Naude PL/SQL package to convert their V2 triggers and if so, did it do a good job or did the forms require a good bit of modification to work properly?

My third option is to purchase forms conversion tools from Kumaran or Sierra Atlantic to convert the forms. My question here is how good of a job did these tools do?

I would appreciate any information on this topic.

Thanks,
Rick Hensley
RickHens_at_aol.com Received on Sat Nov 13 1999 - 09:13:56 CST