Re: DDL extract...

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:58:12 GMT

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 15:54:22 +1100, "steve" <sjm26_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>My dba tells me that it's not possible to extract the DDL files for
>procedures, indexes, views and tables from an Oracle 7 database. Is he
>spinning me a yarn?? He also claims that copying the db so that there is
>another test environment is alot of hassle - is this true?
>
>Thanks

What do you want, just answers to your questions or resolutions? The answer to the first question is that it is possible to extract all DDL. Either create an 'empty' export (whitout exporting data) and convert that to text by imp show=y full=y log=<any log file> or use TOAD (www.toadsoft.com) to get it. As to the second question: if the structure of the test environment is exactly the same, it shouldn't be ANY problem to copy the database. Just install Oracle, create an instance (without database), issue alter database backup controlfile to trace on the old database, and use this file to create a correct controlfile on the test env. And that is ALL.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Nov 13 1999 - 05:58:12 CST