Re: TKPROF questions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:47:48 GMT

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 06:23:09 GMT, alan_psb_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>I have few questions about using TKPROF. (on Oracle8)
>
>1) Is it possible to specify the resulting file in using TKPROF? This is
>because I found that all the output information is forwarded to one
>particular file. However, I want each SQL statmenet trace file forwarded
>to different files.
>
>2) I found that the resulting file has the following error:
>
>Misses in library cache during parse: 0
>Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
>Parsing user id: 37 (TESTING)
>error during parse of EXPLAIN PLAN statement
>ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
>
>However, I have already run the utlxplan.sql (user TESTING). Why such an
>error message
>shown and how to solve this problem?
>
>3) Besides the SQL statmenet that I executed, I find that two more
>statmenets:
>
>OVERALL TOTALS FOR ALL NON-RECURSIVE STATEMENTS
>OVERALL TOTALS FOR ALL RECURSIVE STATEMENTS
>
>Is the above information generated by Oracle other sessions when using
>TKPROF? What is the use of the above information? SHould I ignore this?

  1. No, the trace file name always includes the hex of the process id on the server. You could easily calculate the projected trace file. If you want statements to go to different files you need to reconnect and you still have the chance of getting the same file.
  2. TKPROF creates it's own plan table in the user specified by explain= . You should either specify the user who originally ran the statements or the owner of the tables.
  3. The overall totals are overall totals, they are calculated by tkprof from the trace file,as you could suspect
    >Thanks,
    >Alan
    >

    >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
    >Before you buy.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Nov 13 1999 - 05:47:48 CST