Re: Question about archive log mode

From: Alex Hudghton <alex_at_alenda.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:04:31 GMT

Chuck

See answers inline

Alex

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:34:45 GMT, chuck_at_phi.org (Chuck) wrote:

>I am running in archive log mode on aproduction database that is not
>really in production yet. I have accumilated maybe 50 archive logs to
>date. I will never need to recover this database to a period in time
>covered by these logs. Basically, I want to start anew and blow away
>the existing log files.
>
>Is this the proper procedure:

NO!

backup the database (hot or cold)
you can now remove archive logs PREVIOUS to the start of the backup (NOT including the one that was active at the start of the backup) You do not have to take the database out of archivelog mode to delete the files.

>Place the database out of archive log mode.
>Delete the files.
>Place the database back into archive log mode.
>
>Now I will be able to recover to any point in time since the start of
>the new log files right?
>
>Also another question.
>
>If I lose an archive log in a sequence what is affected? Will I still
>be able to recover to any point in time after the lost log file?

NO again

If you have lost an archive file you must back the system up again and start from there

Backup + archive logs = recovery