Re: temporary

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:05:50 +0800

Nandakumar wrote:

> if that is the fact, aren't there any advantages in using the temporary
> segments from a TEMPORARY TABLESPACE rather than PERMANENT TABLESPACE? i
> guess there should be some.
>
> thanks &
> regards
> Nanda
>
> In article <80f996$bv2$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Ben Ryan <benryan_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > In article <80f679$9gv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > Nandakumar <N.Kumar_at_rocketmail.com> wrote:
> > > Isn't it necessary to have one TEMPORARY tablespace in a database?
> > > I don't find any tablespace with CONTENTS - TEMPORARY in my 'working
> > > fine' database.
> >
> > Good practise, yes. Essential no.
> >
> > By default Oracle uses the system tablespace for temporary segments.
> >
> > Oracle defines which tablespace will be used for temporary segments
> > on a per user basis, rather than as a database wide attribute. So to
> > detemine which tablespace(s) is (are) being used is matter of looking
> > at the temporary_tablespace column of the dba_users table.
> >
> > The temporary attribute of a tablespace means that the tablespace
> > is reserved for temporary segments. However, this does not
> > necessarily mean anyone is using the tablespace.
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> --
> Nandakumar
> (N.Kumar_at_rocketmail.com)
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

In a 'normal' tspace, if you put temp (ie sort) segments in there, oracle must manage creating them, and then getting rid of them once done...

with a 'temp' tspace, one the segments are there, oracle just leaves them there and lets other people re-use them - less internal work for the db to do...

--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Fri Nov 12 1999 - 03:05:50 CST