Re: DATA MODELLING - 3rd Normal Form

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:08:14 GMT

A database does not have to be in 3NF to be considered relational. From "Fundamentals of Database Systems" by Elmasri & Navathe, "A relational database usually contains many relations, with tuples in relations that are related in various ways. A relational database schema S is a set of relation schemas S={r1,r2,...,rm} and a set of integrity constraints IC." The text further goes to define IC as key constraints, entity integrity constraints (no PK can be null), and the referential integrity constraints (FK). No where in the definition does it state that that the tables must be in 3NF. In order to be relational, tables have to relate to one another. This relationship is explicitly defined by the primary, foreign key definitions. If I take a 3NF schema and decompose it for performance reasons, does my database cease to become relational? I don't think so.

My two cents.
Brian