Re: Migration 7.1.3 to 7.3.4

From: James Hanway <hanwayj_at_dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:46:38 GMT

I under went a similar migration earlier in the year. I used the export/import method as I was also jumping machines and operating systems (from Solaris to Digital UNIX).

Some suggestions:

  1. Clean out your database, removing users and tables you know are no longer used. Export/Import can be a slow process, so the less you have to move, the better;
  2. If at all possible, keep your "old" database around just in case things don't go smoothly, or after import you need to compare back with your old database on constraints, etc.
  3. Keep an eye on tables with RAW fields;
  4. When Exporting, do not use COMPRESS=Y for large tables. COMPRESS will compute the size of your table and on import, create one LARGE extent for your new table. Oracle7 seems to complain when an initial extent is overly large. I had a 2 gig table, and on IMPORT, it wouldn't create an initial extent of 2 gig. I had to pre-create my table in the new database with storage paramaters (500 meg initial, 500 meg next), and export the table with COMPRESS=N.

Other then that, things when rather well, exept for a few minor packages that just needed re-compiling.

Best of luck