ADO ODBC dead lock ora-4020

From: <mikestreeton_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:14:25 GMT

I am currently trying to sort out a very weird problem with Microsoft ADO via ODBC calling a function in an Oracle 8.1.5 database. Periodically we get the error message: : "ORA-04020: deadlock detected while trying to lock object USER_INFO". The function logs application users into the system and the USER_INFO table holds there details. A bit of investigation has revealed that this only occurs when the function is first call from ODBC. The following is a test I performed.

  1. flush shared_pool. -- works ok
  2. call function from sql*plus -- works ok
  3. use application to login with valid user/password -- fails ora-4020
  4. call function from sql*plus -- works ok
  5. use application to login with valid user invalid password -- fails ora-4020
  6. use application to login with invalid user -- works produces app error
  7. use application to login with valid user/password -- works ok.

The invalid user causes the function to exit early and not update the user info, with login information. Once the invalid user has been put in all session will work okay. The ora-4020 always occurs after the cache has been flushed when the function is called by ado via odbc.

This is very weird and I am running out of ideas for fixing the problem.

Many Thanks

Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 12 1999 - 04:14:25 CST