Re: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

From: Ben Ryan <benryan_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 01:14:50 GMT

In article <+isrONyRyVd3dbZX5sfaR8DcrvEW_at_4ax.com>,   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
> A copy of this was sent to Nandakumar <N.Kumar_at_rocketmail.com>
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:22:20 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >why's it like that?

The trouble with questions like the one posed, is if you go back far enough the answer becomes "because it just is.".

For instance, since the creators of the database invented the 'SELECT ANY TABLE' privilege, thereby bypassing the need for explict grants of select privilege on individual tables, then why can't they invent 'CREATE ANY TABLE PRIVILEGE' system privilege?

I cannot see any inherent reason why the privilege should not exist. So we are left with, that in the developers opinion, it is not needed.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 11 1999 - 19:14:50 CST