Re: date - import

From: Steve McDaniels <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:32:37 -0800

I have this problem sometimes as well (raw data may contain months and/or days without the leading zero).
I load the data into a temporary table with the desired "date" field defined as varchar2(....).

After loading the data, I run a user-defined function which I call fix_date() which deals with this problem.

Insert into final_table
select fix_date(textual_date), ....other fields from temp_table

Here, we view "raw"data to be "bad" data until we have validated/cleansed/checked/purified/etc it, so all "incoming" data is always loaded into a temporary table first.