Query Plan Problem

From: Lynux <lynux_at_netvigator.com>
Date: 11 Nov 1999 18:23:11 GMT

We have some problem on running query on ANALYZED tables that joins with a temp table. Because of the temporary usage our temp table, we does not do any analyze on such temp table within our program but set it as a cron job running on every hour. However, this results in variation on the corresponding query plan that we run the query in our program at different time. Frankly speaking, our program results in running very fast at one time and very slow at another time that depends on whether the statistics of the temp table is up-to-date.
For example, at the first minute of an hour, the query seems running very fast by joining the temp table with another already ANALYZED tables. But, if data is filled into the temp table at 15 minutes later and query seems running very slow then because of the incorrect statistics of the temp table represented.

For more information, our ANALYZED table contains about 10-20 millions of records and the temp table records size may vary from 0 to 400 thousand. And the fast query may need about 3 minutes to complete but the slow query may need 30 hours to complete.

As a supporting DBA, I am looking for any better/stable solution for it. Would any person suggest what we can do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance! Received on Thu Nov 11 1999 - 12:23:11 CST