Re: Tough one: ORACLE 8i replicated to DB2

From: Graham C Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:37:15 -0600

Alan Hopkins wrote in message <80cclo$77h$1_at_autumn.news.rcn.net>...

>The scenario is a new intranet data collection application (ORACLE on NT)
>that will obsolete a respective application over a couple of years (DB2 on
>AS400)
>
>I need to allow data to be persisted in an ORACLE database and replicate
>the data into DB2 on a 400. This replication (thank goodness) is one-way,
>
>What would you do?
>I need to be able to queue the updates as the AS400 periodically goes
>offline, yet the new application hat 'feeds' it is up 24x7. The replication
>should occur at least 'near real time' (every 1/2 hour at least) and real
>time if possible.
>
>I know well how to create a snapshot.... but how best to write to the Db2
>database on the AS400 from NT?
>
>Thanks for any help you can give me on this one.

Alan,

Have you considered using a gateway for this application? We have used the DB2/400 gateway with good results for a mission critical application. You could use a PL/SQL script to periodically insert data into the DB2 database.

The PL/SQL could be scheduled using the OS or the internal Oracle job queue, and a reasonably simple script should be able to identify which records have not been copied to the DB2 box and then insert them.

Hope that helps a bit.

Graham

--
Empowerment - delegating the responsibility but not the authority.

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Abbott Laboratories. Received on Thu Nov 11 1999 - 08:37:15 CST