Oracle 8.0.5 on Linux ( A nightmare )

From: AnandVadul <anandvadul_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:27:34 GMT

Hi,

 I just got out of a huge nightmare (Oracle 8.0.5 on Linux !) Want to share a couple of insights I got from the exercise.

The Application is a message forwarder which uses a table to store messages incase they cant be sent immediately.It is written in pro c .

Here's the bug parade.

  1. Oracle 8.0.5 does not support pthread applications . So had to put a mutex lock so that only one thread at a time can access the db.
  2. Glibc : Oracle 'recommends' a glibcpatch - (the compilation wont happen otherwise) The glibc patch stops the fflush(stdin) from working. So you have to go in a loop to remove the chars from the keyboard.
  3. Memory Leaks : An open and close of a cursor leaks 24K. (like it ?) This is if it is running as a separate process.
  4. File Descriptor leaks : If the process is threaded, we get file descriptor leaks. A small prog two threads, one opening and closing a cursor, the other trying to get a file handle. Give it 10 minutes, the second thread cant get file handles at all !
  5. Precompiler probs : Half the syntax as shown in http://technet.oracle.com gives assertions.

I'm out of oracle, into Sybase right now and am trying to run the same benchmark tests. Will tell you what happens with sybase.

Anand.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 11 1999 - 07:27:34 CST