Re: Perfomance problem with LV mirroring

From: GDN <gert.deneve_at_advalvas.be>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 21:14:58 +0100

If you have a lot of I/O, the SSA architecture can become a bottleneck. All the data from the SSA-disks have to come across the same wire. Also you don't have any caching.
For very busy rdbms it may be wise to consider another architecture. ( eg. EMC box ? I know it's very expensive )
Real time example :

   v7.3.4 rdbms on AIX 4.2.1.0
   J50 cluster ( HACMP )
   about 480 users
   about 48 drives ( 2 Gb / 4.5 Gb ) in 2 locations    using AIX mirroring ( lv level )
   all the files are on the SSA-disks
  -> bottleneck for the redo log writer

      We have a lot of redo wait times > 30 msec

Hope this helps
Gert