Text searching performance

From: John M. <jmarquis9025_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 19:03:52 GMT

I’m wondering if anyone out there has any information on text searching performance using InterMedia in Oracle 8i, particularly in counting and sorting larger hit-lists. I am trying to migrate some applications from an Oracle 8.0.5 system using context to Oracle 8i. While there is a slight performance increase in the execution of queries using a contains clause from 8.0.5 to 8i there is a significant drop in performance in comparing an 8.0.5. query using the ctx_query.open_cur procedure and an 8i select with a contains. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can significantly increase the performance of the 8i queries I would appreciate the help. Just some other details database size over 2.5 mil records, search time for engineer% (returns aprox 550,000 rows) including a record count and sort by score on 8i, aprox. 3.5 minutes, on 8.0.5 using select with a contains clause aprox. 4 minutes, on 8.0.5 using ctx_query.open_cur less than 15 seconds. Oh, and for searches returning less than 10,000 rows performance is significantly better.

John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 09 1999 - 13:03:52 CST