Re: Linux / Oracle

From: Greg Copeland <gtcopeland_at_EarthLink.Net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 18:58:21 +0000

Greg Akins wrote:

> OK, sorry for such a vaque question...
>
> I am running Windows NT Workstation on a machine at home. I have a box
> with a Cyrix233 on which I would like to install Linux/Oracle.
>
> Basically, I want a relatively easy setup so I can use the Oracle
> server as quickly as possible. But, I want to use Linux (rather than
> NT) so as time goes by I'll start to learn more about Linux.

So far, so good.

> Anyways, can somebody provide some suggestions for a Linux dist which
> will 'easily' support a Cyrix233, Oracle 8.0.5 and also has pretty wide
> support for network cards.

The support for network cards comes via the Linux kernel. This is pretty much the same no matter what distribution you pick. For beginners, SuSE and RedHat are usually picked. RedHat currently has more commercial support. I recommend going to Linux Mall (www.linuxmall.com) and pick a one of the above or get one of the packs that contain a half-dozen distros.

This is done via a software package called samba (www.samba.org). The configuration of shares isn't as straight forward as it is under win platforms, nonetheless, it is centrally managed in a configuration file and pretty easy to set up. Most Linux distros should come with samba. Many distros will ask if you want this service to automatically start at boot. Choose yes and configure smb.conf. From there, you're good to go.

> I had planning on just buying Redhat, but if a different distribution
> may work better, then by all means.
>
> -greg

Greg Received on Tue Nov 09 1999 - 12:58:21 CST