Re: Improving client/server performance.

From: Neil <nc1967_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:57:57 -0000

There are some sqlnet parameters that you could look at. These include the SDU and TDU parameters
These parameter pairs (NVPairs - Named Value pairs) can be specified in the TNSNAMES.ORA and LISTENER.ORA files.
SDU is the 'Session Data Unit', the size of the packets to send over the network.
The TDU, the 'Transport Data Unit', is the default packet size used within SQL*Net to group data together. Ideally, the TDU parameter should be a multiple of the SDU parameter.

 Practical examples:

On standard Ethernet networks, the default MTU size is set to 1514 bytes. On standard token ring networks, the default MTU size is 4202.

To specify the SDU and TDU parameters, changes must be made to both TNSNAMES.ORA
and LISTENER.ORA to make these parameters visible.

   TNSNAMES.ORA

     ORCL.WORLD =
           (DESCRIPTION =
                 (SDU=1514)
                 (TDU=1514)
    (ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = fu.bar) (PORT = 1521) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)) )

LISTENER.ORA:     SID_LIST_LISTENER =

       (SID_LIST =
         (SID_DESC =

(SDU = 1514)
(TDU = 1514)
(SID_NAME = ORCL)
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = ORCL.WORLD) ) )

These parameters can be best used when working with a specific networking environment: Using modem lines, it might be advisble to bring down the SDU and TDU lines, because of the frequent resends, while on fibre or T3 lines, it might be advisable to increase the numbers. The default values for SDU and TDU are 2048, with the maximum value possible being 32768.

If you have access to Oracle's metalink look at doument ID no 44694.1 for a more detailed explanation.

HTH NeilC