Re: Export Problem

From: Fred <fred_at_meow.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:40:38 -0800

            In addition to the compress method you can use the split command to divide the export into multiple smaller files and then use cat to import them. This would be especially useful for very large exports that could be over 2GB compressed.
Here is a KSH example on an HP9000

# Make export pipe may already exist
/sbin/mknod /hd004/export/exp_pipe p
# Begin daily export
cd /hd004/export
rm x*
split -b512m </hd004/export/exp_pipe &
exp $UNPW full=y buffer=1000000 file=/hd004/export/exp_pipe compress=y echo Complete Database export complete `date`

The syntax on a sun may be a little different but this should give you the right idea, in this example I'm exporting to a pipe and then splitting the data from the pipe into 512meg files which will be placed in the directory: /hd004/export with filenames: xaa, xab xac etc...