Re: Rule vs. Cost

From: Malcolm Dunnett <dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca>
Date: 8 Nov 99 13:41:54 -0700

In article <942098985.22328.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>, "Sybrand Bakker" <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> writes:

> IMO, the supplier just choose the easy way out. Admitted, the optimizer was
> changed (and it is a pity you don't specify the version you are using).

>> The supplier told us that the version 7 optimizer has problems.  Is this
>> true, or is it that their application was not written by folks

> knowledgeable

   I had a problem recently with the CBO in 7.3.2.3.2 on VMS. I analyzed the tables in the schema and a query which had previously taken a few minutes went into a near-infinite loop ( we killed the query after a couple of hours ). I deleted the analysis data ( so the RBO would have to be used ) and everything returned to normal.

   I presume this has been fixed in later versions, but if the supplier had run into something similar I can see why he'd want to steer away from the CBO. --

Malcolm Dunnett      Malaspina University-College   Email: dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca
Information Systems  Nanaimo, B.C. CANADA V9R 5S5     Tel: (250)755-8738