Re: Rule vs. Cost

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 23:08:51 +0100

IMO, the supplier just choose the easy way out. Admitted, the optimizer was changed (and it is a pity you don't specify the version you are using). However, where it goes wrong is quite predictable: usually applications are tested with small amounts of records. This usually results in the ratio between lookup and fact tables being completely different from a production system and presto... As soon as a realistic number is reached CBO generates completely different plans, and there you are. Also, you should not forget you need to analyze tables frequently.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA