Re: Multiple oracle versions

From: <miaemp_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 18:31:08 GMT

In article <3826c84d.248647506_at_news.omroep.nl>,   jaklaver_at_hotmail.com (JAK) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an IBM F50 with oracle 7.3.2 server installed. Can i install
> oracle server 7.3.4 next to the existing server? And if so, how should
> i do this...

> Thanx in advance,
>
> Jan

You can do this. You should install 7.3.4 into a separate directory. When you install it, you need to treat as an installation of a new product. I just did 7.3.3 to 7.3.4. You also need to read the Installation Guide carefully. The basic steps are: 1. Shutdown all databases and the listener on the system.(just to be safe)
2. Backup the databases and the mount point at which oracle is loaded. 3. Go to your $ORACLE_HOME/orainst/unix.rgs file and print it off. This is a listing of all of the installed products for your current version.
4. Mount the Cd as root.
5. Create an olink directory Ex. /u01/olink, if it exists already, remove all of the files and directories.

6.  goto /cd_mount_point/orainst and run start.sh as the Oracle Owner
7.  goto /cd_mount_point/orainst and run rootpre.sh as root.
8.  goto /u01/olink/orainst and run orainst
9.  Install the new version of Oracle under new $ORACLE_HOME
10. After installation, you need to change any .profiles to point to the new ORACLE_HOME. Also copy all config's and init's from $OLD_ORACLE_HOME/dbs to $NEW_ORACLE_HOME/dbs. Do not create links, I read somewhere in the installation guide that if links are used, you have the possibility of DB corruption. Change the config's to reflect the new Oracle version. Change the init's to reflect the new path to the Config's. Change /etc/oratab file to reflect Oracle version change. Copy you listener.ora and tnsnames.ora from the $OLD_ORACLE_HOME/network/admin to the new $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. Change the linstener.ora to reflect the new Oracle version. Also, rerun your .profile to make the changes to your environment vars before you upgrade the db objects. Copy password files from $OLD_ORACLE_HOME/dbs to new $ORACLE_HOME/dbs 11. Start the installer under /...../olink 12. Upgrade DB objects. In the installer, instead of installing the software again at the beginning, you upgrade existing objects. 13. If you have more than one DB on the box, you need to restart the installer for each DB that needs to be upgraded. 14. Goto $ORACLE_HOME/orinst and run root.sh as root. 15. Goto $ORACLE_HOME/dbs, copy those files back to their respective /pfile directories and then create links to those files in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.
16. After we know our upgrade is successfull, delete the old $ORACLE_HOME.
17. Oracle Support recommended that catalog.sql and catproc.sql under new $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin be run for each database after upgading is complete.

Please note this note the opinion of my company but are my own. Also note that the general steps above were used to upgrade our software and databases. Carefully read the IG for 7.3.4. Also, you should install the new version under a different directory than 7.3.2. For example if you have /u01/app/oracle/product/7.3.2, I would install 7.3.4 under /u01/app/oracle/product/7.3.4. The time need for the whole process is dependent upon the number of db objects and databases needing upgrading. It generally took approx. 45min to 1hr for the software install. Another 30min to 45min copying and updating files. And another 15min to 20min upgrading each db.

Tx
Eric Peterson
Programmer/Analyst DBA
Maurices Inc.
eric_peterson_at_maurices.inrg.com.no.spammers

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 08 1999 - 12:31:08 CST