ORACLE hangs after query 'select * from v$pwfile_users' in SQL*Plus session

From: Roger Jackson <rjackson_at_wire.net.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 21:56:14 +1100

Hi everyone,

Database and Platform details.

Oracle v8.0.5.2.1 32Bit
AIX V4.3.2 Has anybody come across this problem?

When you run the following query from SQL*Plus select * from v$pwfile_users;

All SQL*Plus sessions hang and you have to perform a shutdown abort. You cannot start another SQL*Plus session, you can only access server manager.

You also receive an ORA-0600 but I don't have the arguments in front of me. Although there is only one argument.

Oracle WWS said it is a known bug and the solution was to perform a shutdown abort. I have been told that this bug has been fixed in v8.0.6 which as far I understood was not going to be released. Can somebody out there confirm this?

I was wondering if anybody else has come across this problem before and whether they were able to resolve the problem without shutting down the database. The reason I ask this question is because we have 100 users across the country accessing the database and we normally do not shutdown the database unless we are performing scheduled maintenance. We want to know whether we really had to shutdown the database is this situation. Could we have avoided the downtime and saved money that we lost during the downtime.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Roger. Received on Mon Nov 08 1999 - 04:56:14 CST