WebDB Fails to install or run on NT

From: david rawle <david.rawle_at_channel-a.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 13:03:43 +0000

We have installed Oracle 8i 8.1.5 on a brand new machine under Win NT 4.0 (SP5) using Microsoft IIS 4 web server.

All was well until we tried to install WebDB.

After WebDB install (on port 8000), our IIS server on port 80 was taken over and stopped. We moved IIS to another port and restarted it. Oracle 8i now cannot be reached by the web server or Net8 and webdb does not run at all.

On trying to connect to webdb we get the error:

Database Log In Failed

TNS is unable to connect to destination. Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening. This error can also occur because of underlying network
transport problems.

Verify that the TNS name in the connectstring entry of the DAD for this URL is valid and the database listener is running.

I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with TCP/IP as nothing else on our system is broken.

Oracle Tech Support have verified that our TNS entries are correct. (I think they have now run out of ideas as they started asking us to make sure the case of our webDB password was correct!)

Anyone else had a problem like this? Did you manage to find a workaround?

We have has 2 of us on this for 2 weeks and we are no closer to installing Oracle 8i or WebDB and we have a big demo to the client on Wednesday to prove that Oracle 8i will satifactorily serve up their new
e-commerce web site.

Thanks

--

david rawle, technical director | e-mail: david.rawle_at_channel-a.com
channel a, soho, london, uk     | phone:  +44 (0) 20 7287 6544