Re: ORA 03113 end-of-communication - on database mount!!!!!

From: Yass Khogaly <ykhogaly_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 10:31:41 -0800

Problem Description:

  You are connected to svrmgrl as a privileged user and issue the startup   Command. The server appears to be starting when you receive the following   error in your session:

    ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

        Cause: An unexpected end-of-file was processed on the communication
               channel. The problem could not be handled by the SQL*Net, two
task,

               software. This message could occur if the shadow two-task process

               associated with an SQL*Net connect has terminated abnormally, or

               if there is a physical failure of the interprocess communication

               vehicle, that is, the network or server machine went down.

      Action: If this message occurs during a connection attempt, check the setup

              files for the appropriate SQL*net driver and confirm SQL*Net
              software is correctly installed on the server. If the message
              occurs after a connection is well established, and the error
is not
              due to a physical failure, check if a trace file was generated
on
              the server at failure time. Existence of a trace file may
suggest
              an Oracle internal error that requires the assistance of
customer
              support.

  NOTE: You check your alert log and see a message indicating that the
        CKPT background process terminated the instance with error 210.

  Problem Explanation:

  You are unable to access one of the controlfiles listed in your "init.ora"   "control_files" parameter.

  Search Words:

  3113, STARTUP, 210, CKPT, ORA-3113, ORA-210   Solution Description:

  You need to check the availability of the controlfiles listed in your   "init.ora" "control_files" parameter and, if available, check their privilege
  settings to ensure that they are set to -rw-r----- or chmod 620.

  Solution Explanation:

  The controlfiles may not be accessible on startup. This causes the   ckpt process to terminate the startup with the 210 error.