Re: Oracle8i JDBC error

From: uncle pervert <z_at_net.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 05:58:20 GMT

"Vekemans Tom" <tom.vekemans_at_skynet.be> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I have a Java2 program connecting to an Oracle8i (8.1.5) database via a thin
>jdbc driver. The program works well on the server machine (I get my
>connection) but from a client (I could only test with one machine) I got an
>SQLException: "The Network Adapter could not establish the connection".
>
>This seems strange since both computers can exchange data via TCP/IP. Pings
>from both sides work. All network setup on the server side has been done and
>tested with Easy Net configuration, and since that utility contains a test
>(that succeeds) I suspect no problem there...So where is the problem? I have
>no knowledge of documentation about this specific error.

The other stuff works because tcp is already configured for certain well-known ports. Re Informix, and other rdms's, communication is done thru a particular site specific port. It's up to the sysadmin to decide on which port to use at each end for db stuff. Did yours do that? Usually the port is defined, along with the standard tcp stuff, in the /etc/services file.

I'm not an oracle dba, but that's how it simply works with informix. Received on Sat Nov 06 1999 - 23:58:20 CST