Re: (no subject)

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 14:40:22 GMT

In article <38227399.5125_at_uws.edu.au>,
  j.xu_at_uws.edu.au wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am new to oracle, and I urgly need to install a test environmant
> for upgrade exist software which use a oracle database.
>
> To do this, I would like to backup the oracle database and restore it
> to the test enviromant.
>
> Currently I have install aix 4.3.2 and oracle 7.3.4. However, I can
not
> get any help from my working mates for backup a database and resotre
it
> to another machine. Can anyone give me a help
>
> Any comments will be appreciated
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Julie
> j.xu_at_uws.edu.au
>
> P.S. please send the mail to j.xu_at_uws.edu.au

Julie, you might be better off to install oracle on the new machine, build a database, and use the export/import utilities to bring the data to your test environment.

To copy Oracle from one machine to another and have it work requires that the disk/file layout exactly match the first machine since Oracle knows its datafile names, and then you still have to deal with sqlnet which will have to have some changes since you will not have the same network (tcp/spx/sna,decnet...) addresses. And on some systems like VMS Oracle is node aware so it can be a real pain to do this.

The DBA Admin Guide has a short chapter that tells you everything you need to know to build a (test) database. The utilities manual cover exp and imp. I suggest you use the compress=n option when you export as this can eliminate storage allocation problems that the default of compress=y can create.
--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 05 1999 - 08:40:22 CST