log buffer size (again)

From: Neil <nc1967_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:18:00 -0000

Hi,

I seem to remember this being discussed before - but I am still having problems understanding it. The majority of the tuning manuals will suggest increasing LOG_BUFFERS until log space requests are (close to) zero. However, I think someone (Thomas kyte) gave reasons why this is not a good idea.
As I understand it, the log buffer gets flushed when either it is a third full (or as defined by the _log_io_size parameter), or every 3 seconds or on a commit.
What is the problem then with large log buffer if you have sufficient memory etc to support it ?

Thanks in advance

Neil Received on Fri Nov 05 1999 - 08:18:00 CST