Re: How to disable transactions

From: David Pomphrey <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 12:52:32 +0000

From David P.

Hi Iks,

           First of all, you cannot AFAIK disable transactions per se - but you can speed up the creation of table as subquery by preventing the DML (Data Maniplutaion Language) statements from being 'echoed' to the Redo Log. I think the actual table creation DDL (Data Definintion Language) statement is put there, but this is very small anyway. The important point is that the DML i.e all the new rows won't.

      For example :-

CREATE TABLE emp_new_temp NOLOGGING
AS SELECT * FROM EMP; assuming for instance that EMP is a table in your schema.

The LOGGING / NOLOGGING options replace the RECOVERABLE / UNRECOVERABLE options (and these will eventually not be supported)

I think that any subsequent UPDATEs to the new table will only result in a very low Redo Log activity (the Redo Log in this case only marks data extents as being in use - nevermind what they contain; also if any further DDL occurs on the new table, this again will take up only a tiny tiny entry in the Redo Log)

So overall, creating tables in this way should help.

Hope that informs!

David P.

(rainy)     Glasgow
(cloudy)  Scotland