Normalization of attributes

From: Peter Balon <balon_at_stud.uni-frankfurt.de>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 23:31:05 +0100

Hello,

I am looking for a way to improve search and comparison speed on large tables. The problem is that I have to compare two strings which might have different length. I need to check if the prefixes are equal so that

     T1.'abc' = T2.'abcd'
and

     T1.'abcd' = T2.'abc'

from both ends, with T1 and T2 as tables. Are there some known normalization techniques which I could apply? We are using Oracle 7.3 and will move to 8.x someday.

thanks in advance

Peter Balon Received on Thu Nov 04 1999 - 16:31:05 CST