Re: Who secures Backup tapes? Unix gurus comment please

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:41:02 -0500

Hi Mark,

    What you are missing is that the only way to guarantee the security of your backup tapes is to never relinquish physical possession of the media. If you are really concerned about security you do not let third party contractors, or anyone else, have even temporary possession of your media.

    If you wish to store the media offsite you have your own trustworthy people transport it and store it in a locked facility.

hth
jerry gitomer

In article <7vk242$1kg$1_at_centipede.wantree.com.au>,   "MTeehan" <MTeehan_at_DELETEME-wantree.com.au> wrote:
> We have a requirement to make sure that all sensitive data is
secure
(8i,
> solaris).
> I see backup tapes as a major potential security hole: many
sites use
> contractors to take tapes offsite in trolleys/vans etc. What is
stopping
> someone lifting a tape, restoring it to a machine and (at
worst) hex
editing
> and stringing the database files? Especially on high capacity
DLT's.
Same
> applies to hot swappable RAID disks.
> We need a solution to allow encryption of sensitive (non
indexed)
columns
> using a key generated by a system security server. Preferably
by a
third
> party product, probably using pl/sql routines.
> This is the level of security that the rest of the system
uses -
> networking, authentication etc so backups should be no
exception.
> Government sites, financial sites, HR systems : does anybody
have
something