Re: TABEL LOCKING!!

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 15:11:35 GMT

In article <7vnucn$2n1o$1_at_newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,   "Steve" <schen_at_prodigy.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone provide hint to prevent the lock occured when some user
updates,
> inserts or deletes rows from a table, so that other users can still
use the
> table? Any initial parameters to increase the locking capacity?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Steve, Oracle uses row level locking by default so unless the users are attempting to update the same rows you should not run into serious locking issues. Every DML operation against a rows results or requires an associated table level lock, but again the default behavior of Oracle generally supports concurrent update against the same table. The associated table level lock prevents my dropping or altering a table that you have inserted, updated, or deleted a row from until you commit. If you are looking at v$lock you could be seeing a resource allocation problem. Generally these often trace to space management, sort and/or extent allocation management, and to rollback segment problems.

Could you provide more information such as what kind of problem are you seeing?

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 03 1999 - 09:11:35 CST