Re: Is running 8i on single processor of multi processor host possible?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:19:47 +0200

William Salusky wrote in message ...

>Is running Oracle 8i on just a single processor of a multi processor host
>possible?

In theory I would think yes...

>If so, how do you configure this? This question is due to Oracle's
>incredible licensing costs.

...however that does not address the licensing issues as far as I'm aware. If and when the license is platform bound ito of platform processing power (i.e. number of CPUs), then the only alternative is to run it on a smaller platform.

Also think of it from the Oracle perspective - even if you can get the operating system and Oracle configured for running Oracle on a single processor, what guarantees are there it will still run on a single processor tomorrow when you hit performance problems?

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Nov 03 1999 - 07:19:47 CST