Re: Oracle8i Linux: out of memory

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_totalise.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 08:19:49 +0000

martin ehrnhoefer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run into an error when trying to create a database with Oracle8i for
> Linux:
>
> I installed Oracle8i (Std) on my system (SuSE 6.2 distribution) like
> described at http://www.suse.de/~mha/oracle, works fine. Then I used the
> "dbassist" program to create a script for database creation. The script
> first starts "svrmgrl". then, while executing the "startup" command, it
> produces the following error message:
> ORA-27102: out of memory
> Linux Error: 22: Das Argument is ungueltig
> (i.e. argument is invalid)
>
> I also tried it with Oracle 8.0.5 (EE) and got exactly the same error
> message...
>
> All suggestions are welcome! (I'm just a bloody beginner, but it seems to
> me that I have enough "memory": 128M RAM, 400M swap, and much harddisk
> space)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Martin

> martin ehrnhoefer
> e-mail ehrnhoefer_at_acm.org

Martin

maybe not, how much free virtual memory have you got, and what size of SGA is it trying to create?

It could be that Linux isn't letting you set enough shared memory - 'SHMMAX' kernal param may need changing, see the Linux docs on this as I don't have a Linux system here. Personnally I always put this to the maximum along with load of other kernal params whenever I'm putting Oracle on a box. See the Oracle install docs for more details.

Martin Received on Wed Nov 03 1999 - 02:19:49 CST