Re: Backup question

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 20:30:57 +0800

Carlos wrote:

> Hi Guys!
>
> I have a simple question. I want to backup to different files to a tape,
> how to do that?
> I tried with tar and cpio, but every time I added the second file, I
> lost the first one over the tape. So.... any suggestions?
> I don't want to copy them in one path, I want to do it in two path (I
> mean, use 2 tar or cpio).
> Also I'd like to know how do you dou your backups.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Carlos

Typically there will be a tape device that is non-rewind.

on Solaris:

/dev/rmt/0h	is the rewinding device
/dev/rmt/0hn	is the non-rewind equivalent

on AIX

/dev/rmt0
/dev/rmt0.1

etc etc
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 06:30:57 CST