Re: Backup question

From: Uwe Schneider <pi_at_richard-schneider.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 17:49:18 +0000

Hi Carlos,

Carlos wrote:

> Hi Guys!

Only guys?

> I have a simple question. I want to backup to different files to a tape,
> how to do that?
> I tried with tar and cpio, but every time I added the second file, I
> lost the first one over the tape. So.... any suggestions?
> I don't want to copy them in one path, I want to do it in two path (I
> mean, use 2 tar or cpio).

You could use the GNU version of tar (gtar, or tar on Linux) to append one file to an archive. The same applies to cpio.

> Also I'd like to know how do you dou your backups.

We normally use Legato Networker do save the tablespace files. But the traditional tools are equicvalent if you do not need to save to a remote tape drive.

Regards
--

Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7251 / 82587
Karlsdorfer Str. 31 | Mail    pi_at_richard-schneider.de

Linux - OS al dente! Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 11:49:18 CST