Re: Size of next extent

From: <junlei_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 16:03:04 GMT

Storage parameters such as extents sizes are defined when you create tables or tablespaces. If you do not supply a value, Oracle will put in default values for you. The default values for initial and next extents are 40k, with a 50% increase ratio. Unless you set this ratio to 0, you will see your next extents size increase. Check user_tablespaces and user_tables for your storage parameters.

Junlei

In article <7vm1t3$ckv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   akkha_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple question.
>
> Following is the result of a query I done againt a certain
> segment. The query is :
>
> select extent_id,blocks,bytes from user_extents
> where segment_name= &some_segment_name
> order by extent_id
>
> The result is
>
> EXTENT_ID BLOCKS BYTES
> ---------- ---------- ----------
> 9 140 1146880
> 10 210 1720320
> 11 315 2580480
> 12 475 3891200
> 13 710 5816320
> 14 1065 8724480
> 15 505 4136960
> 16 260 2129920
> 17 285 2334720
> 19 130 1064960
>
> The table storage clause is something like
> (initial 40K next 80K pctincrease 50)
>
> My question is : What does extent_id = 0
> stands for. How is the size of next extents arrive
> at? I thought it is 50% than the last extent but I
> could not get the result correct. In particular, for extent
> 18, I allocate 40K and I thought extent 19 would be 60K.
> But it is not, instead it asks for 5394 blocks which is
> roughly is 1065 * 1.5 * 1.5 * 1.5 * 1.5, where 1065 is
> size of extent 14. What happens? Oracle just calculates
> the size of next extent based on some hidden formula?
> Do I miss anything?
>
> Anthony
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 10:03:04 CST