Specifying NLS_DATE_FORMAT

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 15:26:16 GMT

I have a question about the use of the NLS_DATE_FORMAT parm. If I don’t have it set anywhere, then I see this:

SQL> select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE

02/NOV/99 If I put this in my INIT<sid>.ORA file:

nls_date_format = 'MM-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS'

I see no difference in my SELECT statement.

If I put the above format parm into my registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE, I still see no difference in my SELECT statement. The only way I seem to get the specified format is to do an ALTER SESSION. My understanding was the format for presentation and acceptance of DATE datatypes was controlled by NLS_DATE_FORMAT in INIT<sid>.ORA, unless overridden by environment variable/registry key, unless overridden by ALTER SESSION. Do I misunderstand, or am I missing something that is supposed to be obvious?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 09:26:16 CST