Re: Can't sqlplus /

From: k.vinayak <k_vinayak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 12:23:50 GMT

Hi James:

        When U say sqlplus / it means log on to oracle server using the OS passwd authentication method. Hence it means that U should have configured ur db to accept such type of authentication [ i.e U should have an entry like
os_authent_prefix = ops$

Also U should have an account created in the Oracle db using the name ops$xxx provided the above parameter has a value ops$ and xxx is Ur login name to the solaris server. Also the user creation syntax should include that the user will be authenticated externally.

I think it worked in your 8.0.5 installation because the db was configured correctly to authenticate a user externally AND U had created a user called ops$oracle [ or with the same name as that of the oracle s/w owner for 8.0.5] who was identified externally. Hence it used to work.

For similar feature in your new installation, set ur db to authenticate a user externally [i.e os authentication] and create an db account named oracle8i [ as U have mentioned ] with the clause of os authentication.

something like this..

CREATE USER oracle8i IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY DEFAULT TABLESPACE USERS
TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMPORARY
PROFILE DEFAULT; I hope U will be trying this from a DBA account [ svrmgrl/ connect internal will work. -- Try avoiding connect internal its absolute but provided for b/w compatibility. ]

HTH
--
Vinayak
--

In article <381EA2B3.A152E5E1_at_cls.uob.com.sg>,   James-TK Low <jameslow_at_cls.uob.com.sg> wrote:
> Hi, sorry to ask this basic question.
>
> I have just installed Oracle 8i on solaris with account=oracle8i, and
> group=dba8i.
>
> When I logged in to oracle8i, I can't just use "sqlplus /" to get into
> the sys. But doing a "svrmgrl" and then, "connect internal" is ok.
>
> I have another Oracle 8.0.5 installion elsewhere (not set up by me of
> course) and "sqlplus /" works.
>
> Does anyone know why?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Regards,
> James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 06:23:50 CST