using a double quote character inside a text field as an initial value...

From: Steve B <steve.bright_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:29:25 -0000

Hope you can help...we're currently generating dynamic web pages using Oracle Application Server....

Most of the pages require the use of forms to capture user information, and a lot of these forms are populated with database information so it can be updated etc......

we define things such as text fields as

<input type="text" name="text_field" value=" '||
<some_value_from_the_database> ||' ">

where '|| ||' are the Oracle concatenation marks for those HTMLers amongst you.....

Now the problem we have is when the database value to set the initial text value contains the double quote character "......If it does then only the string up to that point is displayed.....

Obviously we cant use the single quote ' to suround the value because the same would apply if the string contained that character....

I've written a procedure in Oracle that mimics the javascript escape() function so I thought of storing each value in a javascript parameter  escaped ), and then when the form has loaded populate the form values using javascript.

Is there any other way around this cos it will take ages to re-write...except to bar the entry of double quotes at any point within the site..bearing in mind that this is pointless because data can get into the database from areas other than the browser front end ???

Cheers for any help..

Steve Bright

steve.bright_at_capgemini.co.uk Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 04:29:25 CST