Re: Function-based indexes in Oracle 8i

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 16:30:48 -0500

A copy of this was sent to akumarv_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 20:14:35 GMT, you wrote:

>I'm unable to create Function-based indexes on Oracle 8i (Solaris)
>
>It comes out with the followin error --
>ORA-00439: feature not enabled: Function-based indexes

function based indexes are not available with the Oracle8i 'standard edition'. They are available with the Enterprise Edition.

You can check out the feature/factor matrix available in the document "getting to know Oracle8i". If you do not have the documentation, it is available online at http://technet.oracle.com/

>Ora Doc says use COMPATIBLE parameter to 8.1.0 but still it won't work.
>I queried the V$OPTION view and it says FALSE for the Function-based
>Index feature.
>
>On another 8i database the index creation works fine. Is something
>wrong with the database creation or is there any way I can enable this
>feature.
>
>TIA,
>Ashish
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Nov 01 1999 - 15:30:48 CST