How can an OCI app tell that the DB is up

From: John F. Keaveney <johnkeaveney_at_targusinfo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 10:47:40 -0800

I have applications that run on the same NT server as a database. When the machine reboots the applications fail getting the: 'Server initializing or shutting down' message.

Is there a way in OCI to determine if the DB is up and ready?

Or do you do it by brute force, connect and select sysdate from dual or something?

BTW I have a good solution for when a DB connection is lost, it is this startup that concerns me.

Thanks,

    John Received on Mon Nov 01 1999 - 12:47:40 CST