Error Trying To Kill Sessions (PMON Problem)

From: Carl DiPasquale <cdipasqu_at_visteon.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 07:49:33 -0500

We've been experiencing a large number of phantom sessions in one of our 8.0.5 db's. When an attempt is made to slay the session we get an ORA-0030 error. Besides the error message, the serial number increments to the next number. A search on metalink yields the following information regarding the ORA-0030 error:

BUG 232809/186423 PMON FAILED TO DELETE A PROCESS, ORA-30 WHEN KILLING THE SESSION/GETS ORA 30 WHEN TRYING TO KILL A SESSION WHOSE SESSION ID KEEPS CHANGING       When PMON attempts to cleanup a dead session, it will bump the serial number.
  You cannot kill the session because PMON is already trying to delete it.
  If, however, the database is doing really performing poorly or nothing is
  being cleaned up, try a shutdown abort.

Does anyone know what parameters need adjusting to fix this - also perhaps some reference values for how much they should be adjusted?

Many thanks!

Carl DiPasquale
Oracle DBA
Visteon Corporation Received on Mon Nov 01 1999 - 06:49:33 CST