Re: select & in a literal

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 10:21:50 +0200

Naushi Hussain wrote in message <381A08E4.396F356E_at_Alliedsignal.com>...
>How to use a select statement when one of the selected columns contains
>a '&' in its value
>when I issue a select statement it prompts me to enter a value instaed
>of printing the letter '&' .

That is a problem with SQL*Plus I believe. Same type of thing happens with certain ODBC drivers for Oracle where you try to use a questionmark as a column title, e.g. SELECT flag "Y/N?" FROM foobar. In this case the ODBC returns an error saying that the parameter 'Y/N' is not bounded - mistakenly believing that "Y/N?" is a column.

I'm sure there must be an opion in SQL*Plus that will allow you to de-activate or change the variable character identifier. Look at the SET options.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Nov 01 1999 - 02:21:50 CST