Re: Oracle vs. MS SQL??????

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 23:48:33 GMT

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:38:20 -0400, Jayeson Brewster <jcbrew_at_pixelperfection.com> wrote:

>I am in the middle of taking a couple of classes in Oracle8. I would
>like to create ASP pages using databases created in Oracle. I see alot
>of hosting companies offering NT servers for ASP pages, but they don't
>offer oracle capabilities using oracle they only offer MS SQL, Access,
>FoxPro, ODBC. They tell me I need to use a UNIX server for Oracle, and
>then would have no support for ASP.

Maybe they mean the only service *they* offer for Oracle is on Unix. But I work with several customers who 1) run MS IIS and Oracle all on Windows NT, and 2) run MS IIS on NT and Oracle databases on Unix.

>I quess my question is can I learn oracle and then create
>database/scripts using MS SQL. Are the languages similar enough that a
>novice like myself won't have too much trouble?
>
>Thank You

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Service Industries

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sun Oct 31 1999 - 17:48:33 CST