Security Management

From: Arati Vijay <vijayj00_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 00:06:01 +0800

Continuing on my security related problems.

Thomas, i am going through your article on fine grained access control, and will revert once I have digested it. Thanks a lot for the pointer.

New query:

I have defined a password function attached to a profile. For example,

ALTER PROFILE sms_profile
PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION fn_verify_pwd

I have borrowed some of the code from utlpwdmg.sql. I have added code to validate that the new password is not present in a list of restricted passwords.

When i use

ALTER USER <username> IDENTIFIED by <newpass>,

the function is triggered, does the required validations, and returns the correct messages.

When i expire the password,

(ALTER USER <username> PASSWORD EXPIRE)

it asks the user to change the password - prompting for the old password and the new. However, this does NOT fire the password verify function. Consequently, my pasword is not validated against the restricted list.

I need to necessarily expire the password at regular intervals - as per our organization's security guidelines. Is there any way that I can get the function to be invoked while changing the password after it expires? Importantly, the ids and passwords are created by a security group, and the user has to be forced to change the password. Am using EXPIRE PASSWORD for this too...

Is this a bug in Oracle, or am I missing something here?

Am using Oracle 8.1.5 EE (8i) on AIX 4.3

Regards,
VJ

Please remove the '00' from my email id for replying. Received on Sun Oct 31 1999 - 10:06:01 CST